Friday, June 20, 2008

Google Reader and FriendFeed are only a small part of the equation

I've been across Google Reader for maybe 18 months, so this week's lessons aren't anything new to me. I remember when I first started using it, I bounded into work (a marketing company) gushing at my co-workers about how awesome it was. I barely raised a yawn, yes, even from my manager. Duffers.

When Ed dropped the bomb, I was both surprised and disappointed that I actually knew the secret. I have a FriendFeed account and I noticed how shared items were fed into my feed straight away! Some times it just feels like I've been on the internet for far too long! I want a huge deal with a fanfare and ticker-tape!

The real challenge for me isn't the technology - that's piss easy. The real challenge comes down to networking and building relationships with people. I'm not the kind of person to haphazardly add millions of people to my vital social media accounts - I prefer to build up some kind of relationship. We'll see if that is to my detriment... I think for short term hits and giggles, a huge and random network will work fine; however for long term goodwill, trust and brand strength it will be a little dangerous.

If you're not already signed up, please do come check out the Thirty Day Challenge and explore this issue with me!

No comments: